- This event has passed.
American Intellectual Property Law Education Foundation (AIPLEF) Sidney B. Williams Scholarship
January 29, 2020 @ 8:00 am - February 4, 2020 @ 11:59 pmFree
The American Intellectual Property Law Education Foundation (AIPLEF) is a charitable organization whose mission is to increase the diversity of the IP bar by providing scholarships and mentoring to underrepresented minority law school students pursuing careers in IP law.
The Foundation was established in 2001 and partnered with the ABA-IPL, AIPLA, the Minority Corporate Counsel Association, and Johnson & Johnson (the founding corporation), thereby accessing resources of these organizations, including extensive study in, and commitment to, diversity within the IP law profession and infrastructure, vast contacts, and a wealth of knowledge in diversity. Click hereopens in a new window to learn more.
The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF), and the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) are proud to offer financial assistance to outstanding incoming first-year law school students (1L) interested in patent law. The 1L students will be selected to receive a three-year scholarship of up to $30,000 ($10,000 per academic year, $5,000 per semester, which can only be applied to verifiable costs associated with average tuition and usual fees).
- Be enrolled as an entering law school (1L) student during the 2020-2021 academic school year.
- Proven academic performance at the undergraduate, graduate, and law school levels (if applicable).
- Have a financial need.
- Record of leadership, community activities, and/or special accomplishments.
- Demonstrate intent to engage in the full-time practice of patent law.
- Currently enrolled in or have been accepted to an ABA-accredited law school. (Note: the curriculum of law school as it relates to intellectual property law is not considered in awarding scholarships.)
How to Apply
- Provide a copy of the 2020-2021 FAFSA Student Aid Report.
- Provide the transcripts (official or unofficial) for undergraduate, graduate, and law schools (if applicable).
- Upload two letters of recommendation from persons such as, but not limited to, former professors, college administrators, community leaders, or others supporting the academic ability, character, reputation or professional aptitude of the applicant.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Applicant resume.
- Applicants related to a trustee of AIPLEF, a council member of the ABA-IPL Section, Officer or member of the Board of Directors of the AIPLA, or a member of the AIPLEF Scholarship Committee are ineligible to apply.
- Scholarship recipients are required to attend law school, day or evening, on either a full-time or part-time enrollment basis, and to maintain a grade point average of “B” (3.0) or better.
- Scholarship recipients are required to join and maintain membership in AIPLA.
This application opens January 29, 2020, and closes April 6, 2020 (11:59 PM EST).
Click the website below to start the scholarship application.