- This event has passed.
The National Merit Scholarship Programme
March 24, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pmFree
*Please note that although the organization offering this award has “loan” in it’s name, this is a scholarship and does not need to be repaid.
THE NATIONAL MERIT SCHOLARSHIP
The Commonwealth of The Bahamas is committed to providing scholarships for as many of its citizens as
possible in disciplines based on our country’s labour and development needs. Award recipients are selected on
the basis of academic success at the high school or college level, AND financial need.
The National Merit Scholarship is awarded annually to Bahamian candidates who have completed an approved
secondary education curriculum or syllabus in The Bahamas AND/OR have completed at least one year of post- secondary education in The Bahamas at an approved local tertiary institution. The scholarship will be given for a
maximum of four (4) years of undergraduate study tenable at approved local tertiary institutions, and accredited
Universities or Colleges abroad. Each scholarship award will have a maximum value of up to $25,000.00* per
annum. The recipient must maintain a 3.00 G.P.A for the first year and subsequent years of study. Upon
completion, the recipient of the National Merit Scholarship will be expected to return to The Bahamas and serve in
the area for which he/she was trained. *Value of award subject to change without notice.
Merit Scholarships are awarded for any course of study approved by the National Scholarship Committee as they
are based mainly on the academic achievements of the applicant.
At the time of application, the candidate must:
a) be a citizen of The Commonwealth of The Bahamas;
b) be a graduate of or expect to graduate from a Bahamian secondary school, having completed a
minimum of three (3) consecutive years of secondary education in The Bahamas (see note below);
c) be under the age of twenty (20);
d) have a minimum secondary school cumulative GPA of 3.50 or equivalent at the end of the term prior to application;
e) have sat a minimum of seven (7) BGCSE’s including English Language and Mathematics, and achieved
a minimum of seven “A” passes, prior to the time of application;
f) have applied to or been accepted to an accredited international College or University;
g) have a minimum SAT score of 1220 or higher.
1. Academic Merit – based on high school GPA, BGCSE grades, test scores (including SAT I’s, SAT II’s,
AP’s, IB’s, COB GPA, etc.), rigor of academic programme, honours, awards and
2. Quality and reputation of the proposed College / University;
3. Leadership and contributions to school and community;
4. Candidate’s personal qualities including leadership skills, maturity, independence, sense of
direction, motivation, self-expression, and enthusiasm;
5. Ability to perform as an Ambassador for The Bahamas.
THE NATIONAL MERIT SCHOLARSHIP is a FINANCIAL assistance programme
and is NOT intended to cover all of your educational expenses.
SCHOLARSHIP RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
1. Notification of Candidates: The National Scholarship Committee will inform each applicant
by telephone, e-mail or post of its decision. The decision of the Committee is FINAL.
2. Continuation of Scholarship: Scholarship recipients must submit college transcripts to the Scholarship and
Educational Loan Division, The Ministry of Education, Shirley Street at the end of each semester. For
continuation of the scholarship, candidates must earn the minimum grade point average required for
their award in each semester.
3. Reinstatement: If a recipient must discontinue his or her education temporarily or fails to meet the
required grade point average to maintain the award, he or she must submit, in writing to the National
Scholarship Committee, a full explanation of the circumstances leading to the withdrawal, or fall in
academic standing, supported by documentary evidence. These will be carefully weighed and considered
before a decision is made regarding reinstatement.
4. National Merit Scholarships provide financial assistance only and will NOT cover the entire cost of your
educational expenses. Recipients MUST show proof that they can cover the full cost of tuition and lodging
BEFORE funds are granted.
5. All scholarships are for a FULL-TIME COURSE LOAD (at least 12 credit hours per semester) & recipients
MUST BE ENROLLED at the time of the award.
6. SCHOLARSHIPS CANNOT BE DEFERRED FOR MORE THAN ONE (1) SEMESTER
CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE
1. I have additional resources available to cover all remaining expenses for my first year AND subsequent years of
college including travel to and from college.
2. I agree that if at any time I obtain other awards or scholarships which cover my education cost, I will notify the
Scholarship & Educational Loan Division immediately in writing.
3. I understand and agree to submit to the Scholarship & Educational Loan Division an official transcript, from
the institution in which I am attending, at the END of EACH semester.
4. I understand and agree that I must take a FULL-TIME COURSE LOAD (at least 12 credit hours per semester)
and that I must be currently enrolled in order to receive funding from this programme.
5. I understand that if I fail to provide complete and true information, fail to promptly notify the Scholarship &
Educational Loan Division of any changes in any information provided, or fail to comply with the rules,
regulations, and obligations of the scholarship programme, my scholarship can be cancelled or revoked
immediately and legal action may be taken that may require me to repay any financial assistance that I received.
I further understand that it is an offense to knowingly provide false information for the purposes of obtaining or
receiving financial assistance.
6. Before completing the designated online application you will need to have scanned and saved the following
documents, in PDF format:
COPY OF THE FIRST FOUR PAGES OF A VALID BAHAMIAN PASSPORT
A COPY OF A NATIONAL INSURANCE CARD
A COPY OF THE ACCEPTANCE LETTER
A SCHEDULE OF TUITION AND FEES
AN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT FROM YOUR LAST INSTITUTION
COPIES OF CERTIFICATES (BGCSE/SAT/ACT/AP/DIPLOMAS, ETC)
THE REQUIRED ESSAY(S) AS STIPULATED FOR A PARTICULAR AWARD
THE REFERENCE LETTERS REQUIRED FOR YOUR PARTICULAR AWARD
DOCUMENTS INDICATING (1) LEVEL OF STUDY AND (2) ANTICIPATED GRADUATION DATE
A SCHEDULE/BILL OF TUITION AND FEES
The selection of scholarship recipients is entirely in the hands of the National Scholarship Committee. However,
if there are any questions as to the policy concerning the programme, or the selection process, they may be
directed to The Chairman, National Scholarship Committee, and delivered to the Scholarship & Educational Loan
Division, Ministry of Education, Shirley Street, Nassau, Bahamas or mailed to P. O. Box N-3913, Nassau,
Bahamas. Candidates may also email; email@example.com.